Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz rematch set for UFC 202 in August

INGLEWOOD, Calif. — Conor McGregor will finally get the chance to avenge his March loss to Nate Diaz after it was announced on Saturday that the pair will meet once more at UFC 202 live stream in Las Vegas on Aug. 20.

McGregor’s dramatic rise to become one of mixed martial arts’ biggest stars hit its first major roadblock when he lost to Diaz by submission at UFC 196 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, in a contest fought at 170 pounds.

The match-up was supposed to happen again — as the headliner of UFC 200 in July no less — before McGregor fell into dispute with the organization’s hierarchy over the extent of his media commitments.

The controversial Irishman’s refusal to embark on an extensive press tour caused the fight to be bumped from the card, and after Diaz subsequently played hardball over his fight contract the rematch appeared to be in jeopardy.

However, UFC president Dana White opted to use Saturday’s pay-per-view for UFC 199, held at The Forum, to reveal that a deal was in place to bring the pair together in the octagon for a second time.

Diaz appeared on the giant screen, flanked by White, before the details of the upcoming card flashed on the big screen, to the vociferous approval of the crowd. Source: [USAToday.Com]

UFC 202

UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor 2 is an upcoming mixed martial arts event that will be held on August 20, 2016 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The event is expected to be headlined by a welterweight rematch between The Ultimate Fighter 5 winner and former lightweight title challenger Nate Diaz and current UFC Featherweight Champion Conor McGregor.

The pairing previously met earlier in the year at UFC 196. McGregor was expected to challenge UFC Lightweight Champion Rafael dos Anjos, but dos Anjos pulled out due to a broken foot only 11 days before the event. Diaz eventually replaced him and the bout was shifted to the welterweight division. Diaz won the fight via rear-naked choke in the second round. Their rematch was originally expected to take place at UFC 200, but everything changed during mid-April, as a disagreement between McGregor and the UFC – regarding his media schedule – led to his removal from the event and then Diaz was also pulled out. Source:[Wikipedia]

Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz rematch back on tap, this time at UFC 202

A welterweight rematch between UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz will headline UFC 202 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on Aug. 20.

The UFC announced the bout on Saturday night. The 170-pound rematch was originally scheduled to headline UFC 200 on July 9, but the UFC pulled McGregor off the card in April when he refused to fly to Las Vegas to appear in a commercial shoot and news conference.

In mid-May, McGregor (19-3) met with UFC president Dana White and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta in Los Angeles to discuss rebooking the fight at UFC 202. Days after that meeting, however, the bout hit another bump when Diaz, who submitted McGregor at UFC 196 in March, asked to renegotiate financial terms of the rematch.

McGregor, 27, is coming off the first loss of his UFC career. He still holds the 145-pound championship he won in December by knocking out Jose Aldo in a UFC title fight-record 13 seconds.

McGregor was scheduled to fight 155-pound lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos in March, but dos Anjos withdrew with a foot injury. That opened the door for a nontitle welterweight fight against Diaz (19-10), who accepted on 11 days’ notice.

Fighting out of Dublin, McGregor told he wants the rematch to take place at 170 pounds again so that nothing would be different from their first fight.

“What kind of fighter would I be if I said, ‘Hey, I didn’t get you at 170, let me try to get you at 155,'” McGregor said. “I’ll make my adjustments. I ate up to the weight. This time, I won’t do that.”

Diaz is coming off back-to-back wins against McGregor and Michael Johnson. Fighting out of Stockton, California, Diaz is a UFC veteran since 2007. He fought for the lightweight championship in December 2012 but came up short in a five-round decision loss to Benson Henderson.

Diaz attended the UFC 199 card Saturday night in Inglewood, California. Earlier Saturday in an Instagram post, he indicated that a rematch with Diaz had been agreed to again, showing a video with Dana White.

Getting deals done today #immagetmymoney #stocktonslapped #ufc @representltd #100

A video posted by natediaz209 (@natediaz209) on

Article Source:[ESPN.In]

Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 2 set for UFC 202 in August

The long awaited rematch between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz is finally set after both sides agreed to the matchup at UFC 202 on Aug. 20.

The fight was confirmed by UFC officials on Saturday night at UFC 199.

The road to a rematch between McGregor and Diaz was anything but easy after the fight was scrapped from UFC 202 and contract negotiations broke down over the past few weeks.

UFC president Dana White traveled to Los Angeles to meet with McGregor and then to Stockton, Calif., for a sit-down with Diaz.

According to White, the meeting with Diaz didn’t end well and as of just a few days ago, he actually was looking for a new opponent to face McGregor. UFC 202

It appears cooler heads eventually prevailed and a deal was struck to get Diaz on board, and now he’ll face McGregor for a second time with the matchup taking place in Las Vegas.

In the first fight, McGregor dominated the first round before running out of gas, and Diaz stung him with a series of hard punches in the second round before putting the Irishman away with a rear-naked choke. Ever since, McGregor has been clamoring for a rematch and now he’ll get his chance.

McGregor and Diaz will meet again at welterweight as the outspoken UFC superstar looks to avenge his only loss inside the Octagon.

UFC 202 goes down Aug. 20 with more bouts expected to be announced for the card in the coming weeks.